Gas is one of the most economical power sources available, and also one of the cleanest, but it’s also potentially the most dangerous. Gas leaks can kill. Gas can suffocate you if you are sleeping or cannot smell the leak, and cause explosions and fires. Faulty, low quality or damaged gas connections are as dangerous as faulty wiring in a home. However, luckily, the danger is easier to spot, control and prevent.
Prevention starts with the gas installation. Your gas appliances and bottle connections should be installed by an accredited professional. Ideally, you should have a regular maintenance plan. However, you should also know how to check for gas safety issues and do regular checks yourself.
If you think you have a gas leak:
If you suspect a gas leak or find anything to make you think your gas connection isn’t safe, the second thing you need to do is switch off the gas supply! The FIRST thing you do, is get everyone out of the room and house!
Then call in professionals to identify the source of the leak.
Ensure that you have a safe gas connection:
However, it’s worth keeping tabs on the safety of your gas connection before you suspect a gas leak, and you can do this by:
- Monitoring your gas bills. Look for sudden spike in your gas account.
- Installing a gas detector. This should be mounted low on a wall – around knee level as leaking gas will sink to the floor. The detector will alert you to gas accumulating in a room.
- Investing in a hand-held gas detector to check for gas leakage at any time.
- Investing in scheduled maintenance and professional checks of your gas connections and appliances, right from the moment of the gas installation.
- Ensure that you have your gas delivered by a reputable company that adheres to all gas safety regulations.
Gas Cylinders must be rust free and in good condition
Gas detectors are good warning tools for gas leaks
Understand the dangers of a gas leak, what to do when you suspect one, and do what you need to ensure safe gas connections, and you can enjoy the benefits of gas installation and appliances with peace of mind.